« Home | Farewell Nanna... » | Happy Birthday Nanna » | 'Away In A Manger' » | What Wonderful People » | Proud Mum Moment! » | Tagged by Sam!!! » | Birthday Cake and Ego Trips! » | See The Difference! » | A Little Bit Better » | The Big Day »

Together at Last

Today was one of the hardest days of my life, we said our last goodbyes to Nanna.

I picked the flowers up from the florists, they were really beautiful. I was stuck for words as to what to put on the card.

We all met at Nanna's flat, and I had to stop when I got to the top of the stairs, I just couldn't go into the living room, I broke down into tears. My mum must have seen me and handed me the good old Bach Rescue Remedy. I had a load of that then went into the living room and it felt so bizarre, the room was immaculate, just how Nanna would have had it. I said hello to everyone then the cars arrived. I went to put our flowers into the hearse with Nanna and asked the undertaker if it was ok to touch the coffin. I whispered goodbye to Nanna and had a little quiet cry. It was then time to get in the cars, I was in one with my brother Matt, niece Vicky, and cousins Alec and Stacey. As we were going along I was gobsmacked at the number of people who stopped in their tracks to pay their respects. Nanna and Granddad may not have lived in the nicest of neighbourhoods, but there really was a lovely community spirit, everyone seemed to help each other out.

When we got to the church, we all walked in behind Nanna, and John sat at the back with Joe (we couldn't get a babysitter, and Jade was at school). All the grandchildren and Vicky sat on the second row. The service was lovely, the vicar was the same lady who took Granddad's service. She was very dignified but painted Nanna in a very true light, a warm, loving Mum, Nanna, Great Grandma, and friend to many. Again, as I was with Granddad's, I was blown away with the amount of people who came to the service, a lot of whom I hadn't seen since I was a little girl. A couple of people gave me donations for St Catherine's Hospice, a special place, very close to our hearts, as this is what we had requested, instead of flowers.

After the church service, we moved onto the Crematorium, which, again was taken by the lady vicar. After the short sermon, we each approached the coffin in turn to say goodbye. I kissed my hand, placed it on the coffin and whispered 'goodbye Nanna, I love you'.

Please Granddad, take good care of her...